WELCOME TO KELLINGTON
Kellington is a small village in the Selby district of North Yorkshire with a population of 911 (2011 census). It sits on the banks of the River Aire midway between the towns of Selby and Pontefract. The village dates back to at least the 11th century when it was listed in the Doomsday Book as ‘Chelinctone’. The semi-rural community grew in size with the advent of local mining as housing was built to accommodate the workers of nearby Kellingley Colliery. The colliery closed in December 2015 after producing coal for fifty years and it was the last deep mine in the country.
Due to its location at the southernmost tip of North Yorkshire, the village is close to the borders of West, East and South Yorkshire. Its proximity to both the A19 and M62 major roads has resulted in a steady population growth.
Kellington has a variety of housing, with traditional country cottages, council housing and modern housing estates. The village is served by a pub, The Red Lion and a hotel & restaurant, Kellington Manor Hotel. The majority of local children attend Kellington County Primary School.
The parish church of St Edmunds stands in a prominent position just outside the village and dates back to at least 1185. Its gate posts were built in 1698 and are under a protection order.
Kellington has a village hall which is well used by clubs and groups organising events and activities for people of all ages. There is also an exceptionally good playground which is well used by the children of the village.
Located just inside the village boundary is the Carrs, an area of water formed in 1999 as a result of extensive flooding. Popular with birdwatchers, the Carrs are visited by Kestrels, Grey Herons and other birds and wildfowl.
The Selby District Councillor for the village is Mary McCartney. John McCartney is the North Yorkshire County Councillor for the division of Osgoldcross, which includes Kellington.
Kellington has a parish council with seven councillor places. There are currently four councillors in office. They aim to ensure that the village continues to be an attractive and safe place in which to live.